As is our usual, when Tammy and Miranda went for their Thursday night ladies’ ride with the Bow Cyclist Club, Ian and I went for a ride of our own. This night was a special one, because Ian had been bugging me for a long time that he wanted to try to ride up the hill at Canada Olympic Park. COP is a bit of a byword around Calgary as one of the world-class local hills for cycling. It’s not long at 1.3 km, but it is steep. It averages 8%.
To put that in perspective, that’s in the same ballpark as famous hills in Europe such as Alpe d’Huez.
On this night, Ian and I rode up it. He stopped only once, but he made it!
When I posted the ride on Strava, Ian got lots of support.
- Adam Clark Was that Ian’s first time up COP?
- Simon Biickert yep!
- Adam Clark Well he must be getting ready for A group rides then.
- Tammy Biickert Way to go Ian!
- Phil Arsenault Great job Ian. COP is tough!
- Karyn Silenzi Nice – that hill is my nemesis!